Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Iris


Oil on canvas, 60x90 cm

Update: added process with WIP pictures. I don't have a fixed process that I follow with every painting. Here's how this painting was done:

1. First I drew the outlines with charcoal.
2. I blocked in the background with a mix of brown and blue thinned with odorless mineral spirits. I didn't use a brush at this point, I just applied the paint with a paper towel.
3. I massed in the dark background and then started with the hair.
4. I added the sky, some more background and hair.
5. Then the face. At this point I realized the eyes are too wide apart and the top of the head too far up. It wasn't easy to wipe that perfectly good eye away, but it was in the wrong place so it had to be done. Gotta practice drawing more so this doesn't happen too often.
6. After the the face was done, I painted the hand, dress and the rest of the background.

 
Details

6 comments:

Jesus Estevez said...

Beautiful work, congratulations, great job on the hand and the face

Arto Isotalo said...

Thank you very much!

Erik said...

I agree, great job on the hand and the face and a beautiful painting in its entirety.

Arto Isotalo said...

Thank you Erik!

Erik said...

Thanks for the progress and detail pics, very helpful.

MeJane said...

Ai miten ihana!!! Niin kaunis Iris!!!