Thursday, March 10, 2011

Budapest Museum of Fine Arts and Hungarian National Gallery


Last week we made a trip to Budapest. It was a welcome break to this neverending winter. It wasn't exactly warm there, but no snow banks anywhere! Budapest is a beautiful city with its architecture and river Danube. The trip's highlight was Széchenyi thermal bath. It consists of many indoor pools, saunas and three outdoor pools where one can bathe in warm waters even in the winter. The water is supplied by two thermal springs. Highly recommended if you happen to visit Budapest.

While there, of course I had to visit a couple of museums, too: Budapest Museum of Fine Arts and Hungarian National Gallery. Here are pictures I took of some of the artworks:

Hungarian National Gallery

Gyula Benczúr - Baptism of Vajk, 2.45 x 3.6m
This painting by Gyula Benczúr (1844 – 1920) was amazing, not only by its size. It looked so real and three dimensional, especially the robe.




Franz von Lenbach - The Triumphal Arch of Titus in Rome, 130x179 cm
This painting by Franz von Lenbach (1836-1904) also was impressive. It cannot be captured with the camera, but it really had depth and sunlight in it. I had to view it from the side to check that the canvas actually was flat. I wonder what the museum guards thought when I had my nose in the painting when I studied the brushstrokes and kept returning to this painting to admire it.



Jószef Molnár - Lake in the Polish Tatra



Claude Monet - The Harbour at Trouville

Bertalan Székely - Study of female head
A beautiful portrait by Bertalan Székely (1835 - 1910). He was one of Philip de László's teachers. I was a bit dissappointed of not seeing one single work by de László in either museum. No one seemed to even recognize who he was when I asked if they had any works by him. I guess he's not that popular in his home country. According to the book "A brush with grandeur" and de László archive trust, there should be many paintings in the National Gallery, but I guess they're safely in the basement.




Gyula Benczúr - My Children



Károly Lotz - Ilona Lotz dressed in white
Károly Lotz (1833 – 1904) was another teacher of de László. 

Károly Lotz - Bathing woman

Ferenc Dinnert - Flora

János Pásztor - The banished woman
I made a sketch of this beautiful sculpture by János Pásztor.

Auguste Rodin - Eternal Spring, marble, 75x81x44 cm

10 comments:

billspaintingmn said...

Very nice. These paintings must have been great to see in person. Thanks for sharing Arto!

Arto Isotalo said...

You're welcome!

Joe Kresoja said...

Great post

Arto Isotalo said...

Thanks Joe!

lkpost said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Luuk said...

Dear Arto,

I really like your blog. Your art is great and I really appreciate the high resolution pictures of Zorn (among others) on your blog.

I have quite some pictures of Waterhouse paintings. They aren't perfect, because the lighting conditions in the museum weren't perfect and I wasn't allowed to use a tripod, but they are still quite detailed and brushstrokes are visible.

I would like to share these pictures (maybe you can put them on your blog, so more people can enjoy them), so if you're interested, please let me know.

Kind regards, Luuk

Arto Isotalo said...

Thank you very much for your positive feedback, Luuk! Thanks for the offer but the images of old masters' paintings that I have posted are ones that I have experienced myself visiting museums. I would still very much like to see the hires pictures of Waterhouse paintings if that's possible :)

Luuk said...

Ah, ok, that's sounds reasonable. You can never beat the real experience of a painting. Of course you can still see the pictures (on hirespicturesofpaintings.blogspot.com). Hopefully the pictures are inspiring for you. They were great to see in real life.

Off the Coast of Utopia said...

Thanks for sharing these wonderful images. Benczúr is one of my favourites.

Linda Tracey Brandon said...

I loved looking at these photos and being introduced to new artists and their work, thanks so much for this wonderful blog.