Monday, June 20, 2011

Visit to Museu Nacional d'Art de Catalunya


We just returned from a trip to Spain. I managed to squeeze in a few museum visits while there. Not all museums allow photography, but I'm happy that a few does. Here I'm posting high-res images of paintings and sculptures that I liked from Museu Nacional d'Art de Catalunya, located in Barcelona.

Click the images to see them in full size. I hope you enjoy them!

Ramon Casas - Self portrait 20.5 x 24 cm

Ramon Casas - Laziness 54 x 65 cm
The painting above was full of awesome, subtle color shifts, which sadly my camera couldn't capture.
 I really like Ramon Casas's work.

Ramon Casas - Over my dead body 50.5 x 61.5 cm

Detail
Ramon Casas - Study 35.5 x 44 cm


Romà Ribera - Woman in evening gown 29 x 40 cm

Detail

Francesc Masriera - In the precence of the lord 93 x 191.5 cm

Detail

Joaquim Vayreda - The beginning of spring 80.5 x 48.5 cm

Detail
Mariano Fortuny - Moroccan farrier 66.5 x 49 cm
Detail 1
Detail 2

Joaquin Sorolla - Portraits of Elena and Maria with Old-fashioned Valencian Costumes 188 x 253.5 cm
This was the first painting by Sorolla that I saw in person (but not the last!) He was a painter of light!

Detail
Josep Llimona - El bany, Marble
The sculptures by Josep Llimona were amazing.

Josep Llimona - Desconsol, Marble, 66.4 x 78.8 x 68.8 cm

5 comments:

Erik said...

Wow, wonderful paintings Arto, I didn't know Ramon Casas, thanks for taking those pictures.
Also, can you share some info on the DIY stylus you use on the iPad?

Arto Isotalo said...

Glad you enjoy them! It's always inspirational to see great artworks. Next museum visit post will be about Museo Sorolla.

The stulys has already evolved from the first version :) Now the tip is a piece of soft conductive EMI shielding gasket (Electromagnetic interference). Let's see if this is going to be the final design, I'm always trying to improve it if possible. The stulys works very well: slides on the display without friction and need's very little pressure. I might do a post about it in the future, don't know yet.

Erik said...

Yes. Would be cool if you would have time to do a blogpost about the stylus. I'm always interested in a low-cost low friction stylus :)

Richard Piloco said...

Arto, Thanks for posting these pictures. It's hard to find images with hi enough resolution to study the painting technique of an artist.

Arto Isotalo said...

Thank you Richard for posting high-res pictures of your art in your blog!